- Courses Offered
- College of Agriculture
- SC ST Cell
Department of Agronomy
|Prof. Asok Saha, M.Sc (Ag), Ph.D
The Department started its journey from 14th February, 1979 Under North Bengal Campus as a Constituent Unit of Department of Agronomy, Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya at Gram Sevok Training Center Complex, Coochbehar. Later, with the bifurcation of Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya in 1st February, 2001, the said Constituent Unit emerged as a full-fledged Department of Faculty of Agriculture under Uttar Banga Krishi Viswavidyalaya at Pundibari, Coochbehar. Since then Animal Science Unit and Agricultural Engineering Unit have remained merged with the Department of Agronomy. After establishment of Faculty of Technology in 2005-06 academic session, the course of Agricultural Engineering has been carried out from that Faculty. However, since inception of Uttar Banga Krishi Viswavidyalaya, the course of Animal Science has been offered from the Department of Agronomy. From 2007-08, the department followed new syllabus as per guidelines of IVth Deans’ Committee of ICAR. The M.Sc.(Ag.) programme in Agronomy was initiated from 2010-11 academic session as per recommendation of National Core Group constituted by ICAR. By integrating teaching, research and extension efforts, the department finds and disseminate solutions to problems and discovers opportunities concerning efficiency and sustainability of production, improvement in quality and method for safe and environmentally sound agricultural practices.
- To impart teaching in Agronomy for B.Sc. (Ag) Hons., M.Sc. (Ag) and Ph.D degrees.
- To undertake academic as well as location specific research programmes in the field of Agronomy.
- To organise seminar, symposium and training programme.
- To co- operate and participate in various extension activities or organisations.
The department performs teaching at under graduate and post graduate levels under the semester system of study. The objective of the department is to provide best quality education to the student in both theoretical and practical aspect of crop production. The department offers 38 credit, 54 credit, 74 credit courses at B.Sc. (Ag) Hons., M.Sc. (Ag) and Ph. D level respectively. It also caters one Hands on Training Programme on Vermicompost Production for undergraduate students. The department also caters to Agronomy courses for B.Sc.(Hort.) Hons. and B.Tech. Programmes. The current intake capacity in each academic year is five for Master’s degree and two for Doctoral degree programme. At present six teachers are involved including teaching and research wings.
A) Field of specialization for M.Sc and Ph.D.: Crop Husbandry and Water Management
B) Compulsory Courses (PG):
- MODERN CONCEPT IN CROP PRODUCTION.
- PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES OF SOIL FERTILITY AND NUTRIENT MANAGEMENT.
- PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES OF WEED MANAGEMENT.
- PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES OF WATER MANAGEMENT.
C) Under Graduate Courses (UG):
Core courses :
|Course Code||Name of the Course||Credit Hours||Semester|
|AGR 101||Principles of Agronomy||1+1||First|
|AGR 102||Agricultural Meteorology||1+1||First|
|AGR 103||Livestock Production and Management||2+1||First|
|AGR 151||Crop Production Technology-I (Kharif-I)||1+1||Second|
|AGR 152||Weed Management||1+1||Second|
|AGR 201||Crop Production Technology-II (Rabi-I)||1+1||Third|
|AGR 202||Water Management of Field Crops: Principle and Practices||1+1||Third|
|AGR 251||Crop Production Technology-III (Kharif-II)||2+1||Fourth|
|AGR 301||Crop Production Technology-IV (Rabi-II)||2+1||Fifth|
|AGR 302||Organic Farming||1+1||Fifth|
|AGR 351||Farming Systems and Sustainable Agriculture||1+1||Sixth|
Elective courses (Crop production module):
|Course No.||Course Title||Credit Hours||Semester||Associated Department|
|AGR 401||Seed Production Technology||3 (1+3)||Seventh||GPB|
|AGR 402||Agrometeorology and Crop Modelling||2 (1+1)||Seventh||SSAC & Ag. Statistics|
|AGR 403||Integrated Farming Systems||2 (1+1)||Seventh|
|AGR 404||Water Management||3 (1+2)||Seventh|
|AGR 405||Organic Farming||3 (2+1)||Seventh|
Hands on Training:
|Course No.||Course Title||Semester|
|AG 451||Hands on Training on Vermicompost Production under RAWE Programme||Eighth|
D) Post Graduate Course:
|AGRON 501*||MODERN CONCEPTS IN CROP PRODUCTION||3+0|
|AGRON 502*||PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES OF SOIL FERTILITY AND NUTRIENT MANAGEMENT||2+1|
|AGRON 503*||PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES OF WEED MANAGEMENT||2+1|
|AGRON 504*||PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES OF WATER MANAGEMENT||2+1|
|AGRON 505||AGROMETEOROLOGY AND CROP WEATHER FORECASTING||2+1|
|AGRON 506 (CORE)||AGRONOMY OF CEREAL CROP-I (RICE)||2+1|
|AGRON 507||AGRONOMY OF CEREAL CROPS-II (MAIZE AND MILLETS)||2+1|
|AGRON 508||AGRONOMY OF CEREAL CROPS II (WHEAT AND BARLEY)||2+1|
|AGRON 509||AGRONOMY OF PULSE CROPS (KHARIF AND RABI)||2+1|
|AGRON 510||AGRONOMY OF OIL SEED CROPS (KHARIF AND RABI)||2+1|
|AGRON 511||AGRONOMY OF FIBRE CROPS||2+1|
|AGRON 512||AGRONOMY OF SUGAR CROPS||2+1|
|AGRON 513||AGRONOMY OF TUBER CROPS||2+1|
|AGRON 514||AGRONOMY OF FODDER AND FORAGE CROPS||2+1|
|AGRON 515||CROPPING SYSTEMS AND SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE||2+0|
|AGRON 516||DRYLAND FARMING AND WATERSHED MANAGEMENT||2+1|
|AGRON 517||PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICES OF ORGANIC FARMING||2+1|
|AGRON 518||DIAGNOSIS OF NUTRITIONAL DEFICIENCY IN FIELD CROPS AND THEIR REMEDIAL MEASURE||2+1|
|AGRON 591||MASTER’S SEMINAR||1+0|
|AGRON 601||CURRENT TRENDS IN AGRONOMY||3+0|
|AGRON 602||CROP ECOLOGY||2+0|
|AGRON 603||ADVANCES IN CROP GROWTH AND PRODUCTIVITY||2+1|
|AGRON 604||ADVANCES IN WATER MANAGEMENT||2+1|
|AGRON 605||ADVANCES IN WEED MANAGEMENT||2+0|
|AGRON 606||INTEGRATED FARMING SYSTEMS AND SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE||2+0|
|AGRON 607||SOIL CONSERVATION AND WATERSHED MANAGEMENT||2+1|
|AGRON 608||STRESS CROP PRODUCTION||2+1|
|AGRON 609||CROP PRODUCTION AND SYSTEM MODELING||2+1|
|AGRON 610||ADVANCE TECHNOLOGY IN CEREALS PRODUCTION||2+1|
|AGRON 691||DOCTORAL SEMINAR I||1+0|
|AGRON 692||DOCTORAL SEMINAR II||1+0|
|AGRON 699||DOCTORAL RESEARCH||45|
* Compulsory for Master’s programme
E) No of M.Sc. and Ph. D Students :
i) Name of the Students awarded degree along with the name of the supervisors:
- M.Sc. (Ag.) in Agronomy – 43
- Ph.D in Agriculture (Agronomy) – 4
ii) Existing students along with the name of supervisors:
- M.Sc. (Ag.) in Agronomy – 09
- Ph.D in Agriculture (Agronomy) – 10
iii) Recipients of awards and Gold Medals:
- No. of Students qualified All India J.R.F. Examination – 04
- Recipients of Award of University Gold Medal for M.Sc. (Ag.) degree – 06
iv) Scholarships, Stipends and fellowships:
- Inspired Scholarship – 1
Area of Research:
Research activities of the department are concentrated on Crop Husbamdary, Water Management, Weed Management, Integrated Nutrient Management, Conservation Agriculture and Crop Weather Relation.
Awards and Gold Medals:
- Crop and Weed Science Society (CWSS): Young Scientist award 2010. (Dr. Pijush Kanti Mukherjee)
- Global Society for Health and Educational Growth: Bharat Siksha Ratna Award 2010. ( Dr. Pijush Kanti Mukherjee)
Scholarships, Stipends and fellowships:
- S.R.F- 2
|Sl. No.||Name of the scheme and finding Agency||Name of the P.I/Co. P.I||Year of commencement||Continued up to|
|1.||“Scaling up of water productivity in agriculture for livelihoods through teaching cum demonstration” Funded by ICAR.||Dr. Asok Saha, P.I Dr. S. Bandopadhyay Co. P.I Dr. Biplab Mitra Co. P.I||2007-2008||2011-2012 Extension Expected for XII Plan Period|
|2.||“Integrated Agro-Met Advisory Services” Funded by Ministry of Earth Science, Govt. of India.||Dr. S. Bandopadhyay, Nodal Officer||2005||Continuing|
|3.||“Forecasting of Agricultural Outputs Using Space, Agrometeorology and Land Based Observations (FASAL)” Funded by Ministry of Earth Science, Govt. of India.||Dr. S. Bandopadhyay P.I||2010||Continuing|
|4.||“National Agriculture Innovation Project (NAIP) on ‘Sustainable rural livelihood empowerment project for northern disadvantages districts of West Bengal” Funded by ICAR.||Dr. S. Bandopadhyay Member of Monitoring Unit of Lead Centre UBKV.||Continuing|
|5.||“Site specific nutrient management in lead cropping systems in the northern districts of West Bengal” Funded by State Govt. of W.B (RKVY).||Dr. Parthendu Poddar P.I||2010-2011||Continuing|
|6.||“ Spatial dynamics and yield gap across different farming situation in North Bengal” Funded by State Govt. of W.B (RKVY)||Dr. Parthendu Poddar Co-P.I||2009-2010||Continuing|
|7.||“Development and validation of IPM in rice-vegetable cropping system in north region ofWest Bengal” Funded by State Govt. of W.B (RKVY)||Dr. Parthendu Poddar Co-P.I||2008-2009||Continuing|
|8.||“Survey of weed flora and development of integrated weed management programme in jute based cropping system in Terai Region of West Bengal”. Funded by: ICAR||Dr.P.K. Mukherjee, P.I||2005||2008|
|9.||“Promotion of conservation agriculture as a new enterprise for sustainability of production system and resource conservation” Funded by State Govt. of W.B (RKVY)||Dr.P.K. Mukherjee, P.I||2009||2012|
|10||“Productivity improvement of Mung bean (Vigna radiata) with bio-fertilizer package and its impact on rice based cropping system with particular reference to soil health under Terai Agro-climatic Zone (#2) of West Bengal” Funded by DBT.||Dr.P.K. Mukherjee, Co- P.I||2005||2008|
|11.||“Revitalization of rice-wheat cropping system”. Funded by Rice-Wheat Consortium||Dr.P.K. Mukherjee, Co- P.I||2006||2009|
The department imparts training on vermicompost production and conservation agriculture. The faculty members of the department participated in various extension activities organised by State Department of Agriculture, State Department of Agriculture Marketing; State Department of Forest. Directorate of Jute Development, Govt of India, KVK and ongoing research project, as resource persons.
Infrastructural and support facilities available:
- Soil fertility Laboratory- Provides analytical facilities for soil-plant samples.
- Vermicompost Production Unit- Imparts Hands on Training Programme for Under Graduate students and training programme for the rural youth, self- help group & NGOs and for meeting the requirements of University farm.
- ComputerRoom- Provides an exposure to computer applications.
- Seminar Room- Provides the facilities to organise seminer, symposium, meeting and examination.
- Animal Shed for rearing cow, goat, sheep and pig- Imparts practical class for under graduate students.
- Paper: 105
- Book: 1 (Debasis Mahata, Asok Saha and Mayukh Ghosh)
- Book Chapter: 5
- Bulletin: 8
- Abstract: 23
- Popular Article: 12
National and International Symposium/ Trainings/ Seminars attended and organised:
- Abroad attended: 2
- International attended: 10
- National attended: 29
- Training attended: 20
- Workshop attended: 20
- Training organised: 77
Member of different academic societies:
i) Indian Society of Agronomy. ii) Indian Society for Plant Physiology. iii) Indian Society of Weed Science. iv) Indian Society for Root Crops. v) Indian Society for Nuclear Techniques in Agriculture and Biology. vi) Crop and Weed Science Society. vii) Indian Meteorological Society. viii) Indian Science Congress.
- Number of evaluated thesis for M.Sc. (Ag.) and Ph.D Degree: 20
- Faculty members are involved as External Examiner in other Agriculture Universities and Central Universities.
- Faculty members are acted as resource persons in different training programmes.
- Member, Institute Management Committee, CRIJAF, Barackpore from 2009 to 2011 (Prof. A.K. Singha Roy).
- Member, Board of Studies, Department of Agronomy, Faculty of Agriculture, Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswa Vidyalaya, from 2010. (Prof. A.K. Singha Roy).
- Acted as Organizing Secretary of the National seminar on “Ramie – strategies for development” held at UBKV in 2002 (Prof. A.K. Singha Roy).
- Acted as Co- Chairman in session 28 (cs) of 4th International Food Legumes Research held at IARI, New Delhi in 2005. (Prof. A.K. Singha Roy).
- Acted as Co- Chairman in session IV of First International Weed Seminar Held at BCKV in 2005. (Prof. A.K. Singha Roy).
- In-charge and Course Coordinator of ICAR sponsored “HANDS ON TRAINING ON VERMICOMPOST” is running since the year 2007. (Dr. S. Bandyopadhyay).
Faculty and Staff:
a) Faculty Members:
|Prof. Ashis Kumar Singha Roy||Professoremail@example.com|
|Prof. Asok Saha||Professor & Headfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Prof. Subhendu Bandyopadhyay||Professoremail@example.com|
|Dr. Pathendu Poddar||Associate Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Biplab Mitra||Assistant Professor||bipmitra
|Dr. Partha Sarathi Patra||Assistant Professoremail@example.com|
|Dr. Dilip Kumar Hajra||Assistant Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr. Tarun Paul||Assistant Professoremail@example.com|
|Dr. Shyamal Kheroar||Assistant Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Nonigopal Shit||Assistant Professoremail@example.com|
i) Technical Assistant – 1 ii) Laboratory Attendant-1 iii) Junior Peon-1